Monday, September 10, 2007

Foleo BLUNDER!


Has been a while since I wrote (give me a break, moved house for Christs sake! :), but have been waiting very excitedly for Foleo. This was to be a very very good device. In hindsight I think Palm has made a massive mistake on several levels. But rather than point these out I am going to end this blog (for now only hopefully perhaps) with a question, and also a couple of suggestions.

QUESTION:
Now that the Foleo has been canceled, where should I look for a replacement that would have:

1. Weighed 2.5 pounds. I have an IBM X31 laptop (small 12" laptop - but plenty of times it is not small enough to just toss in a bag or walk out door with)
2. A 5+ hour battery life with wifi on the whole time!
3. Very low power, environmentally friendly, easy and QUICK to charge, even right out of car electrical outlet.
3. Instant on and off (this is a very compelling feature, think about it in daily use)
4. Solid State hard drive, yeah small, but big enough to 'get what u need done'
5. 10" screen (very usable and nice, not a naty little 7" screen or even 8", so forget the rather crummy in use by comparison Eee PC)
5. Word, Excell, Powerpoint, Email, Web Browsing - for MANY of us, this IS what our work day is about.
6. $500
THat last one is the one that really stings. $500! Come to think about it where can I get same for $1000 or even $1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ordered a new Lenovo X61s (very light 12" laptop, $1500) but it WILL NOT be as used as the Foleo would and could have. I am not going to toss the X61s in my cars glove box to pull out if needed, or toss it in my gym bag to do some work on if needed. i am not going to be able to use it without the worry of loosing a $1500 laptop with ALL my valuable data on it.

SUGGESTIONS:
Somewhere there is a factory with capacity and tooling to make these things, maybe Palm could sell from web site only as a 'Beta' for developers and palm or Linux enthusiasts. This will help project germinate, and outside developers might probably do a better job than Palm and Palm. Little hurtful to say this, but overall it would make for happier partnering software developers, and also go a long way to creating a community around product for this category.

How about someone else picking up the pieces. I have to think that if Ubuntu was to sell this item pre-loaded with Ubuntu (with Open Office and Firefox etc) that it would be a very compelling device, possibly more compelling that with a Palm OS! It could even be sold with NO OS by Palm or Ubuntu or other, ready to have a CF card purchased by buyer loaded with OS, Linux of their choice. My vote for a ready to go Ubuntu!

Ok, there are some thoughts, that my dog 100% agrees with, here is to hoping that maybe someone in the tech world (with a brain bigger than my dogs, and he is a small dog) might have a similar insight and ability to investigate this idea...

All the best,

Adam

p.s. - willing to pay lots for a Foleo!

No comments: